Inspired by Miriam’s recipe (Original recipe here) – I tried it using the ingredients more easily available locally and substituted where required. It was so amazingly refreshing to be finally able to taste a Coleslaw salad! Being a vegetarian, I hadn’t come across a eggless mayonnaise version of coleslaw. Thanks to this recipe – I could finally taste and make this famous salad!
Hope you like it as much as I did.
Makes: main meal for 2 or sides for 4.
INGREDIENTS FOR COLESLAW
- ½ white cabbage, washed and shredded
- ½ onion, shredded or 1 small onion
- 1 carrot, sliced or shredded
- 1 sweet red apple, thinly sliced in rounds, for decoration (and consumption)
Garnish: I used flax seeds
INGREDIENTS FOR RAW MAYO
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, washed and drained (preferably pre-soaked for an hour or two)
- 1/2 cup water
- juice of lemon
- the zest of ½ lemon
- himalayan salt to taste (I used ½ teaspoon)
- 1 tsp honey
- Place your shredded and sliced vegetables in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, place your drained cashew nuts in a food processor, and process until broken down.
- Slowly add the liquids a little at a time, and process. Continue doing this until you have added all the liquid. Then process once again for a minute or two.
- Pour onto your coleslaw, and toss with a salad spoon and fork. Garnish.